Recipe of “Black Celeriac” by Mateu Casañas, Oriol Castro and Eduard Xatruch from Restaurant Disfrutar, Barcelona, Spain
INGREDIENTS FOR 10 PEOPLE
For celeriac skin and flesh
1. Wash the celeriac.
2. Use a chef’s knife to peel the celeriac leaving the skin with 0,3 cm of flesh.
3. Keep celeriac skins and the whole peeled celeriac separately.
For celeriac sauce
300 g of celeriac skins (previous preparation)
50 g of extra virgin olive oil
500 g of water
0,5 g of xanthan gum
30 g of Yondu
100 g of peeled celeriac
4. Roast the celeriac skins in a saucepan with the olive oil until they are golden brown.
5. Remove the roasted celeriac skins from the saucepan and drain them on paper towels to remove excess oil.
6. In a measuring cup, mix the water with the Yondu and the xanthan gum. Grind with the help of an electric whisk until no lumps remain.
7. Place the roasted celeriac skins and the water mixed with yondu into a saucepan. Cook over medium heat for 30 min without boiling excessively, until obtaining a consistent and tasty sauce.
8. Strain the sauce loosely and store.
9. Cut the peeled celeriac into 1 cm thick slices.
10. Boil the sauce, add the sliced celeriac and infuse for 15 min.
11. Strain and store.
For celeriac ice cream
750 g of peeled celeriac (previous preparation)
200 g of water
400 g of cream (35 % fat)
250 g of whole milk
50 g of Prosorbet
1. Cut the celeriac into pieces of about 2 cm side.
2. Add the chopped celeriac with all the liquids and boil for 35 minutes over medium heat, until the celeriac is well cooked.
3. Grind the whole mixture in a jug blender and strain.
4. Add the Prosorbet and blend until no lumps remain.
5. Leave the celeriac ice cream in the fridge for 12 hours.
6. 1 hour before using, pass the ice cream base through the ice cream maker. Put the celeriac ice cream into a freezer at -8ºC until its use.
* Minimum amount to guarantee a good result.
For black celeriac
peeled celeriac cut in half (previous preparation)
1. Put half of a peeled celeriac into Ocoo with colander
2. Cook with the Black Egg program for 7 hours. After this time, cook again with the same program for a further 7 hours.
3. Take the black celeriac out from the Ocoo and cool it in the fridge.
4. Once cooled, and with the help of a knife, portion it into 10 imperfect pieces of 3 cm side.
5. Keep in the fridge.
For celery dice with lemon
100 g of lemon juice
1 stick of tender celery
1. Wash and peel the celery stalk.
2. Cut 50 dice of celery of 0.5 cm side.
3. Place them into a vacuum bag with lemon juice, pack at 100% vacuum and store in the fridge.
10 tender leaves of celery
75 g of butter
FINISH AND PRESENTATION
1. In a frying pan, heat the black celery pieces with butter, being careful not to break them until the celeriac is hot.
2. Heat the roasted celeriac sauce.
3. Lay a piece of black celery on the right side of the soup plate.
4. Next to the celeriac, place 3 dice of celery impregnated with lemon juice, and to the left of it, two more dice to hold the ice cream quenelle.
5. On the left side of the plate, lay a 10 g quenelle of celeriac ice cream, and dress it with a fresh celery leaf on top.
6. Pour the roasted celeriac sauce into a sauceboat, so that the waiter serves 10 g of sauce in front of the customer.